La Pietat bell tower
La Pietat church is the emblematic work of Baroque architecture in the city of Vic. Its bell tower is a representative element of its skyline.
The original image of the Pietat bell tower is recovered with its sloping roof of ceramic tiles typical of the Baroque (1695) wich was eliminated during the Carlist war. The interior of the octagonal plan is emptied and the arcades that had been bricked up are opened to recover the initial aesthetics of the facades.
To structurally consolidate the whole, an interior skin of reinforced concrete formwork made with wooden planks hugs and gives stability to the stone facades. This skin also supports the new interior laminated wood deck covered with glazed ceramic tiles that reproduce the shape and colors of the original ones.
Thanks to a central staircase, access to the upper part of the bell tower is enhanced and this new space is transformed into a 360º viewpoint towards the city.
C/ Sant Sadurní, 3. Vic
© Pere Tordera
- Selected work in Catalonia Construction Awards 2010